Issues getting started

General Help for Diablo, Computers, Website. Anything you may need.

Topic author
c0nvulsi0n
Wanna Be Somebody
Wanna Be Somebody

Issues getting started

Postby c0nvulsi0n » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:12 am

I downloaded the 2 files, diablo 2 and maphack

right clicked them both and checked unblock, used winrar to extract them to my desktop

dragged the diablo II folder to program files, and dragged the mousepad maphack folder to program files

i made shortcuts of zi0u4ln9.exe and diablo II.exe, nothing happens when double clicking them of course, so i tried compatibility for XP, WIN 7, WIN 8,

at this point it said it's missing MPQ files and I had to put in Diablo 2 disk

I used poweriso to load up an expansion disk, and i double click the icon again

it just made my screen like 480 resolution or something and had random symbols alternating in the upper left of my screen, have to force quit the application

I am stuck at this point, any ideas?

i am not seeing diablo 2 loader, or the gateway editor in the diablo 2 or maphack folder that are mentioned in other help threads as supposed to be there, am i having problems because i'm not using loader?
Last edited by c0nvulsi0n on Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
c0nvulsi0n
Wanna Be Somebody
Wanna Be Somebody

Re: Issues getting started

Postby c0nvulsi0n » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:21 am

Side note, when trying to unblock the files before extracting i'd get the error, The requested lookup key was not found in any active activation context.

i could still extract it, but i can't clear this error.

I tried dragging all the MPQ files off the diablo 2 install and expansion disk, the game no longer required the disk but still gave me the "We have a big error here" message

Edit: did a fresh install, did some searching and found the latest patch, extracted patch to diablo 2 folder,

found out how to clear the block on diablo2apoc.rar

still get "We got a big error"

After the error, now i'm seeing

Halt
Expression : Unrecoverable internal error 6f8901cd <------ this is with expansion disk mounted in poweriso, game won't even start without it

Edit: I figured maybe it's a resolution issue or something, switched my main from my 1440 monitor to 1080 monitor, got a new Error this time "Failed to create game window"

guess i'll wait for someone to log on at this point, i'm out of things to try

Topic author
c0nvulsi0n
Wanna Be Somebody
Wanna Be Somebody

Postby c0nvulsi0n » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:50 am

Ok so...switching my main monitor to the 1080 one i was having issues...the i go to compatibility mode and notice out of nowhere it's being forced into a smaller resolution which wasn't checked before changing monitors and i've never checked...unchecking that made it load on my smaller monitor...would like to play on 1440 monitor...but it appears to work now somehow...

Topic author
c0nvulsi0n
Wanna Be Somebody
Wanna Be Somebody

Postby c0nvulsi0n » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:01 am

Made the mistake of restarting because maphack wouldn't come up no matter how many times i tried to load it up, now the game won't start regardless of any settings of what monitor it's on...

maphack immediately crashes whenever diablo 2.exe is open

holy crap what is happening

Edit: got it to start again by switching videomode to 2D...idk...

Highlander
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Highlander » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:16 am

See you on realm...

Moogie
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Moogie » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:54 am

Glad you got it. Windows don't play nice with D2 anymore. You also have to uncheck the box on maphack so it does not auto close, the bottom of the 2 checked boxes. By default it is always checked.
The power of Diablo ll gets stronger as time goes on! It keeps pulling you back!

Return to “Help Desk and Frequently Asked Questions”