Kinda Random Crashes

All bug reports for APOCALYPSE - Killing Fields... (ONLY)

Topic author
Dyspho
Bottom Feeder
Bottom Feeder

Kinda Random Crashes

Postby Dyspho » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:34 am

My game has been crashing at, what I thought was, random times. The last couple happened when I was selling gems to akara. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure if this was the case every time. It hasnt been enough to really hinder game play. But, it's somethin I'm keeping an eye on.
~dys

Moogie
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: Kinda Random Crashes

Postby Moogie » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:08 am

Also crashes when transmuting, changing video settings also. Cannot password a game either.

Sidenote: Are druids going to be able to use multiples like before? i.e. both wolves and bear plus hurricane?
The power of Diablo ll gets stronger as time goes on! It keeps pulling you back!

Davenge
Wanna Be Somebody
Wanna Be Somebody

Postby Davenge » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:31 pm

Dyspho wrote:My game has been crashing at, what I thought was, random times. The last couple happened when I was selling gems to akara. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure if this was the case every time. It hasnt been enough to really hinder game play. But, it's somethin I'm keeping an eye on.

Low res or high res?

Davenge
Wanna Be Somebody
Wanna Be Somebody

Postby Davenge » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:32 pm

Moogie wrote:Also crashes when transmuting, changing video settings also. Cannot password a game either.

Sidenote: Are druids going to be able to use multiples like before? i.e. both wolves and bear plus hurricane?

Druid: should be able to, if not, let me know.

I'll look into the other issues, though I've been transmuting fine in testing so that's awkward.

Highlander
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Highlander » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:50 pm

I'm playing a druid and you can only summon one type of wolf, once you reach level 12 and add skill to dire wolf and summons it all other wolves disappear. Only at lvl 24 so far so I can't summon bear yet.

Davenge
Wanna Be Somebody
Wanna Be Somebody

Postby Davenge » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:55 pm

Highlander wrote:I'm playing a druid and you can only summon one type of wolf, once you reach level 12 and add skill to dire wolf and summons it all other wolves disappear. Only at lvl 24 so far so I can't summon bear yet.

Okay, I will fix this.

Topic author
Dyspho
Bottom Feeder
Bottom Feeder

Postby Dyspho » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:33 pm

high res. Im just now messing with the glide. overlooked that part. I also havnt installed a loader. I use virtual drives so having exp disc mounted is not a problem for me.
~dys

Topic author
Dyspho
Bottom Feeder
Bottom Feeder

Postby Dyspho » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:20 pm

I'm also gettin crashes from certain graphics loading, like in the room with baal. I also get a crash from hovering over certain items, the last was a magic unid studded leather.
~dys

Davenge
Wanna Be Somebody
Wanna Be Somebody

Postby Davenge » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:17 pm

Dyspho wrote:I'm also gettin crashes from certain graphics loading, like in the room with baal. I also get a crash from hovering over certain items, the last was a magic unid studded leather.

Windowed mode or not windowed? If you want to play windowed, configure through glide and don't use a -w flag when booting. If you use the -w it bypasses glide and the d2expres which lets us play in higher resolutions doesn't like that. Hence we get awkward crashes.

Topic author
Dyspho
Bottom Feeder
Bottom Feeder

Postby Dyspho » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:45 pm

I was using windowed through glide. I do have -nohide in launch parameters set. I'll take that off now and retry.
~dys

Moogie
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Moogie » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:51 pm

Need to be able to password a game also. Screen says it is but it isn't.
The power of Diablo ll gets stronger as time goes on! It keeps pulling you back!

Davenge
Wanna Be Somebody
Wanna Be Somebody

Postby Davenge » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:43 am

Dyspho wrote:I was using windowed through glide. I do have -nohide in launch parameters set. I'll take that off now and retry.

Any change with -nohide? d2ExpRes should do the nohide stuff automatically.

Topic author
Dyspho
Bottom Feeder
Bottom Feeder

Postby Dyspho » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:38 am

I have the game running perfectly minus the crashing, that from other's experiences, prove to be a problem with mousing over the bottom of inv screens.
~dys

Topic author
Dyspho
Bottom Feeder
Bottom Feeder

Postby Dyspho » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:27 pm

I have tried every combination of settings and launch parameters. I have used direct draw 2d, 3d, and glide. I have taken away all parameters, and added each back in, and combos of each. No matter what I do, I can make my game crash literally 2 seconds after joining a game. It is very frustrating. Not nearly as frustrating as finding the fix, I'm sure. It is definitely happening when I access the bottom of any inventory screen from underneath it. i.e. to get my game to crash when testing I just wiggle mouse in and out of bottom of inventory. This especially is a pain for me because, my mouse is usually beneath the cube inv when accessing.

edit: I dunno if this is any help but here is a piece of info I was able to find. One of our users is using a folder for d2 that he has worked heavily to setup perfectly over the years. One of the things he did when downpatching years ago was deleting almost all registry files. He cannot crash his game in the above manner to save his life.
~dys

Davenge
Wanna Be Somebody
Wanna Be Somebody

Postby Davenge » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:19 pm

Dyspho wrote:I have tried every combination of settings and launch parameters. I have used direct draw 2d, 3d, and glide. I have taken away all parameters, and added each back in, and combos of each. No matter what I do, I can make my game crash literally 2 seconds after joining a game. It is very frustrating. Not nearly as frustrating as finding the fix, I'm sure. It is definitely happening when I access the bottom of any inventory screen from underneath it. i.e. to get my game to crash when testing I just wiggle mouse in and out of bottom of inventory. This especially is a pain for me because, my mouse is usually beneath the cube inv when accessing.

edit: I dunno if this is any help but here is a piece of info I was able to find. One of our users is using a folder for d2 that he has worked heavily to setup perfectly over the years. One of the things he did when downpatching years ago was deleting almost all registry files. He cannot crash his game in the above manner to save his life.

Wait, have you tried just switching to LowRes for now?

Topic author
Dyspho
Bottom Feeder
Bottom Feeder

Postby Dyspho » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:17 pm

These crashes are only in Hi res mode. I do play in low res when i just wanna game out. But I was just exhausting every option I could to test hi res on my system. I did give up finally lol. For future reference, I'm on win 10 on two different machines, that both have very high specs. Seems the newer machines are more prone to these shenanigans.

Edit : Also when dealing with LowRes, you cannot buy potions or scrolls from vendors. They are always hidden in blocks not rendered by LowRes.
~dys

Davenge
Wanna Be Somebody
Wanna Be Somebody

Postby Davenge » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:20 pm

Dyspho wrote:These crashes are only in Hi res mode. I do play in low res when i just wanna game out. But I was just exhausting every option I could to test hi res on my system. I did give up finally lol. For future reference, I'm on win 10 on two different machines, that both have very high specs. Seems the newer machines are more prone to these shenanigans.

Edit : Also when dealing with LowRes, you cannot buy potions or scrolls from vendors. They are always hidden in blocks not rendered by LowRes.

Interesting. I'll look into this.

Return to “Bug Report”